History of George's Song Shop

 

George’s Song Shop was know as Bernie George’s Song Shop from 1932-1941. The sign outside read Bernie George’s Song Shop until 1961.

Business started by Bernie George in 1932 and his brother Eugene joined in partnership with him in 1938. Bernie sold his interest in the business to Eugene in 1941 and Bernie left and moved to Rochester, N.Y. and continue his interest in music playing the piano and organ in nightclubs in the Rochester area during the summer and playing in Florida in the winter. He passed away in 1974.

Eugene operated the business until he passed away in 1962. His son John took over the business and has operated it ever since.

Store locations:

  • 110 Franklin Street from 1932-1936

  • 342 Locust Street from 1936 -1939

  • 105 Franklin Street from 1939 -1961

  • 115 Market Street from 1961-1970

  • 421 Main Street from 1970 -1977

  • 128 Market Street from 1977- to this day

We also had a second location in the Westwood Plaza from 1979-1992.

 

 

GeorgesSongShop.com